Book Review: Second Best Friend by Non Pratt

Second Best Friend
Author: Non Pratt
Publisher: Barrington Stoke
Release date: 24 January 2018
Pages: 137 pages
R.R.P: $14.99
                                      
It's hard loving someone so perfect.
Your Best Friend... And the competition.
The one person you're always measured against.

Jade has a near-perfect best friend in Becky- until a throwaway comment triggers a serious inferiority complex. How come Becky is better than her at everything? So, when life offers Jade the chance to come out top, she grabs it. But there are some popularity contests that you just can't win...

My review
My thoughts on the book: After breaking up with her boyfriend, all Jade can focus on is the last comments that he made to her, 'Like there would ever have been an 'us' if your mate had been up for it. Everyone knows Becky's the hot one.' Now all Jade can focus on is how Becky gets everything and how everyone loves her. When in her S.R class (which is the only class that Jade and Becky aren't in together) they are asked to pick a Party Leader for their team from the people who volunteered, Jade having out her hand up wins the vote. Maybe this will be the one thing that she can be better at than Becky, well that is until she learns that the competition from the opposing party team is of course Becky. Jade is determined to win at all costs and puts everything into winning. But an offhand comment that Jade makes while drunk at a party may put the voting in her favour but will it cause her to lose her best friend in the process?

Massive thank you to Allen and Unwin for sending me a review copy of Second Best Friend. For a book that seems to be set for a much younger audience then I originally thought and also for such a small book I really enjoyed it. I was reading my books for my readathons and was up to the parts where I couldn't go past so needed a quick book to read that would fill in the time and Second Best Friend defiantly did that, although a lot faster than I had originally planned. I think a lot of people, especially young people, will be able to relate to how Jade was feeling, with feeling second best to her best friend. I know that at times growing up I felt like this as one of my friends was very smart and gorgeous as with all the boys always around her and I felt inferior to her and second or third best. Of course I've long grown out of that but could really feel for Jade at times and relate. I think the way the author discussed the jealousy issue in the book will hopefully help a few people from making the same mistakes. I look forward to reading more from Non Pratt and will defiantly be getting my daughter to read this when she is older.

Rating: 4/5







     

Comments