Book Review: Esme's Wish by Elizabeth Foster

Esme's Wish
Author: Elizabeth Foster
Publisher: Odyssey Books
Release Date: October 30th 2017
Pages: 241 pages
R.R.P: $22.95
                                           
This was her last chance. 
Her hand twisted high in the air.

When fifteen-year-old Esme's Silver objects to her father's wedding, her protest is dismissed as the action of a stubborn, selfish teenager. Everyone else has accepted the loss of Esme's mother, Ariane- so why can't she?

But Esme's is suspicious. She is sure that others are covering up the real reason for her mother's disappearance- that 'lost at sea' is code for something more terrible, something she has a right to know.

After Esme is accidentally swept into the enchanted world of Aeolia, the truth begins to unfold, with her newfound friends, Daniel and Lillian, Esme retraces her mother's steps in the glittering canal city of Esperance, untangling the threads of Ariane's double life. But the more Esme discovers about her mother, the more she questions whether she really knew her at all.

My review
Thoughts on the book: Esme's Wish is the first book in the new fantasy series from Elizabeth Foster. It tells the story of fifteen year old Esme, who's mother disappeared, apparently lost to the sea, but Esme doesn't believe it. While her father's away on his honeymoon with his new wife, Esme decides that she is going to conduct her own investigation and get to the bottom of her mother's disappearance. Her investigation leads her to Spindrift, where their family had a cottage which they visited on holidays. Here she learns that apparently her mother was a very sick woman. Reflecting on what she has learned at the cottage, Esme takes a walk along the beach with her journal where she sees a familar Sea Eagle from home. The Sea Eagle steals her journal and dives into a rockpool, that looks very familar to Esme, but doesn't resurface. Diving into the Rock pool after the Sea Eagle And surfacing, Esme finds herself in a whole new magical world. This new magical world is called Aeolia and its here where she finds out what happened to her mother and her families connection to this magical world. Along the way she makes new friends, discovers she might just have one of the magical talents found in this world and learns when she puts her mind to something she can do anything.

Firstly I would like to say a massive thank you to the author of Esme's Wish, Elizabeth Foster for reaching out to me and offering me the chance to review her amazing story. It was a fabulous suprise to receive a signed copy of the book, a beautiful bookmark and two gorgeous stickers that accompanied the book, which I recieved when I moved into my new house. I couldn't wait to dive into this new magical world that Elizabeth Foster had created and find out what Esme's story was while using my new gorgeous bookmark. As I traversed the magical world that was created I learnt that Esme was a very fierce character that would do anything to prove that her mother didn't get lost at sea and that she is alive and well. She seems to be so much older than her fifteen year old self and dives into this new world with so much maturity and just takes everything in her stride. I loved the magical side of the story and I thought it was beautifully written to make you feel like you were in that world. I could visual everything that was happening and loved how the author put in everybody's favourite magical beast, the Dragons. I adored how beautifully they were described and I think that was my favourite part of the whole novel.

A fantastically written first novel in this series and I can't wait for the continuation of this series even though I have to wait until 2019. 

Rating: 4/5

Comments