Book Review: The Fall by Tristan Bancks

The Fall
Author: Tristan Bancks
Publisher: Random House Australia
Release date: 29/05/2017
Pages: 244 pages
R.R.P: $16.99
                                   
In the middle of the night, Sam is woken by angry voices from the apartment above. 

He goes to the window to see what's happening- only to hear a struggle, and see a body fall from the sixth-flow balcony. Pushed, Sam thinks.

Sam gies to wake his father, Harry, a crime reporter, but Harry is gone. And when Sam goes downstairs, the body is gone, too. But someone has seen Sam, and knows what he's witnessed.

The next twenty-four hours could be his last.

My review
Thoughts on the book: Sam has gone to stay with his father for the first time ever after having surgery on his leg while his mum continues working. He is a bit of a hand ful for his mum so she will welcome this reprieve. Unfortunately the grass isn't greener on the other side and Sam finds himself bored out of his brains. Well that is until he witnesses a night time disagreement from the apartment above him and suddenly someone is pushed out of a window. Sam runs to get his dad but he isn't home. What is Sam to do? Deciding to investigate for himself he goes to look at the body but it has disappeared. But someone has seen him and now Sam's life is in danger? Will Sam make it out alive or will he end up like the other victim? Also where is his dad and will he return in time to help Sam?

I received The Fall for review from the lovely team at Penguin Random House. It was quite a quick read as it was only 244 pages long so it only took me half a day. Upon starting the book and reading about the dog called Magic I bought the book might have a magical twist to it but I was wrong. It was more of a mystery who done it story and I did really enjoy it but didn't love it. I think this was more because it's based for pre-teens/early teens so a lot of the things that happened would be very fun and exciting in their eyes but not in mine.

Sam was very brave throughout the whole book but I find it a little hard to believe that someone who has just had surgery would be able to do half the things he was able to do. I loved the friendship that he started with Scarlet and how his relationship with his dad progressed and can I say that ending, WOW. Chapter 36 really had me going that something had occurred until I turned the page and learnt what had happened. Pheww. Although it wasn't a favourite book I am very interested to read more from Tristan Bancks and I can't wait to pass this along to my oldest boy to read.

Rating: 3/5

Comments