Date A Book YA read along- Stalking Jack The Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco Part 1

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco Part 1
As part 1 of the Date a Book read along for Stalking Jack the Ripper we had to read Chapter 1- Chapter 14 (inclusive) which was pages 1-150. The guideline dates for this were October 31st-November 9th. I recieved my copy about a week before we started and amazingly held off reading it until the start date, which was fine except I read Part 1 in a day. I didn't want to keep reading either until it was time to start part 2 so my book has been sitting there glaring at me for the last week saying 'read me, read me.' 

I am really enjoying Stalking Jack the Ripper especially our main character Audrey Rose Wadsworth and her let's say companion (because he is in a way) Thomas Cresswell. They are basically complete opposites in every way except for the fact that they both like to autopsy people, want to solve the case of who is murdering these women and the admiration they have for Audrey's uncle. Although the book may not be suited to those who are squeamish with blood and guts, I found this aspect of the story really interesting and can't wait to learn more about what it was like for medical people in this time in history. I also really enjoyed the drawings there are strategically placed at the start of some chapters and I believe they bring a new element to the story and make it more relatable and you can see for yourself what the author was trying to interpriatate instead of your mind picture (hope that makes sense). I'm finding it very fast paced and I have my suspicions about who the killer may be but I don't really want to voice it just yet, although is it just me or does their dad seem mighty suspicious?

Discussion Questions
1. What were your first impressions of Audrey Rose Wadsworth and Thomas Cresswell?
I love Audrey Rose Wadsworth and am really enjoying Thomas Cresswell as a character too. Audrey knows what she wants to do with her life and is very passionate about it but also knows that she needs to restrain herself at times with what she talks about and how she acts as she knows it's not appropriate. But that doesn't stop her from doing what she loves and fighting for her place in the world, that at that time in history, was male dominated. She is defiantly not afraid to be with the boys but also can be with the girls, although she defiantly doesn't enjoy it as much. I'm loving the friction that is there between Thomas and Audrey too. It's clear that they are perfect for each other but as both are very strong in their ways that they tend to bicker more. Thomas is a very strong male character who clearly really likes irritating Audrey and is very set in his ways. I'm wondering if maybe the author has written him as being on the autism spectrum, which back then wouldn't have been heard of. I think he displays a few signs that could lead to this.

2. Female representation is a big part of discussion in YA novels- what are your thoughts on the historical setting and inclusion of women thinking and acting outside "norms" in Stalking Jack the Ripper? What are your thoughts on Audrey Rose's aunt and cousin?
I know back in the 18th century men were thought to be more dominant then females and therefore in most situations men were always right. Women were just there to hold parties, drink tea and basically sit there and look pretty. I am so glad that our world has changed, although it still has a lot more change to go, and that we get more opportunities in the world. 
My thoughts on Audrey Rose's cousin and aunt hmmm... I really like her cousin and find her quite spunky and a little like Audrey Rose where she is willing to step a little outside of the norm but not too much. As for her Aunt I don't really like her at all. I think she is defiantly the embodiment of what the world back then saw as the perfect women.

Well that's it for Part 1. I can't wait to share Part 2 with you.





Comments

Post a Comment