Book Review: The Women in the Walls by Amy Lukavics

The Women in the Walls
Author: Amy Lukavics
Publisher: Simon and Schuster 
Pages: 272 pages
R.R.P: $19.99
Something isn't right in this house.

Lucy Acosta's mother died when she was three. Growing up in a Victorian mansion in the middle of the woods with her cold, distant father, she and her best friend and cousin, Margaret, known the ancient hallways inside out. Or so they think...

When her beloved Aunt Penelope disappears while walking in the surrounding woods, Lucy finds herself devastated and alone. Margaret, meanwhile, has been spending a LOT of time I'm the attic. She claims she can hear her mother's voice whispering from the walls.

Shut out by her father, Lucy watches helplessly as her cousin's sanity slowly and completely unravels. And then she begins hearing voices herself...

My review
Thoughts on the book: This was a surprise review book in the mail. I had requested it ages ago but completely forgot about it and because I haven't recieved many books from Simon and Schuster this year didn't think that I would get the chance to review it. So upon recieving The Women in The Walls I dived straight into however it took me awhile to get through. 

The Women in the Walls started off like all horrifying reads:
Walter the cook killed himself in his little bedroom downstairs, just a few hours after saying good-night.
From there things just seem to get stranger and stranger. Lucy's Aunt disappears suddenly one day after a walk, then her cousin Margaret suddenly starts going mad, a new girl appears and then Lucy herself starts hearing voices. I'm not a big fan of horror stories really so that could be another reason why it took effect me awhile to read. I found the main character Lucy to be very disturbed before all this started and to me she became less disturbed after all of the things that happened. She defiantly wasn't a main character that I think a lot of people can identify with or even really warm too. Also while reading a particular scary part of the book my husband came up behind me and scared the absolute crap out of me which didn't really help. I think one things that bothered me the most is that things just seem to happen so quickly throughout the book and then I found the ending was rushed even more. I wouldn't have picked it to end that way either. 

Even though The Women in the Walls wasn't my cup of tea don't let it out you off reading it. It might be just what you want in a scary story. 

Rating: 3/5

Comments